zenith Reporting Grant 2019
THE APPLICATION PHASE FOR THE REPORTING GRANT 2019 IS OVER
Are you a young journalist interested in the Arab world? Are you working in the Middle East or North Africa? Do you already have a great idea for a long-read feature in mind? And you would like to try a new format combing text, photo and video elements for a multimedia story?
This is your chance! Apply for the zenith Reporting Grant 2019, sponsored by zenith Magazine, the Candid Foundation and alumni of the Herbert Quandt Foundation. From our own experience, we know how hard it is to tell a great story in detail amid the daily scheduling pressures in journalism. We also know how rare the opportunities are for young journalists to work intensively on a topic for several days or even weeks. Even more so, when the resulting work is not the stuff for the latest breaking news contest, but rather an in-depth feature challenging readers.
The zenith Reporting Grant 2019 wants to fill this void and help to promote in-depth journalism. This is why we support three journalistic research projects with a maximum amount of 2000 Euro each. Journalists who are not older than 32 years and who live and work as journalists in one of the following countries are eligible to participate until the 18th January 2019: Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Sudan, Djibouti, Somalia, Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, Qatar and Mauritania.
Neither nationality nor employment status play a role in the selection of winners. Teams of two or more journalists are welcome to apply as well. In this case, funding must be shared among the applicants.
Are you interested and meet the criteria? Then please answer the following three questions in German, English or Arabic:
- What is the story you want to research? In which way do you want to present it? And why do you think you are the right person to receive the “zenith Reporting Grant 2019”? (max. 500 words)
- How much is the budget that you need for your report? On what exactly do you plan to spend it? (max. 100 words)
- Name three published pieces that you are particularly proud of. (Links with a brief description are sufficient)
Please send your answers, as well as your curriculum vitae (CV) in tabular form in a single PDF document attached to an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline is January 18, 2019. If you work on a fixed contract, we also require a written confirmation from your employer allowing you to pursue the research and exclusive publication of the funded feature by zenith Magazine in printed and digital form.
What are the next steps?
An international jury of experienced Middle East reporters will decide on and will notify the winners in a timely manner after the deadline. The first half of funding will be transferred in advance; the second half will be transferred after the successful completion of the project.
Members of the jury:
- Katrin Sandmann (Cobalt TV, arte Reportage, Berlin)
- Manon Quérouil (Freelance reporter, Paris)
- Amir Musawy (Al-Iraqiyya, Baghdad/Berlin)
- Christoph Reuter (Der Spiegel, Beirut)
- Christoph Ehrhardt (Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, Beirut)
- Daniel-Dylan Böhmer (Die Welt, Berlin)
- Jan Rübel (Zeitenspiegel, Quandt Alumni Network, Berlin)
- Alexandra Belopolsky (Quandt Alumni Network, Berlin)
- Daniella Cheslow (Quandt Alumni Network, Berlin)
- Lissy Kaufmann (Quandt Alumni Network, Berlin)
- Dana Regev (Quandt Alumni Network, Berlin)
- Florian Guckelsberger (zenith Magazine)